Monday, September 22, 2008

Chicken and Dumplings



Chicken and Dumplings...

I made a big pot of chicken and dumplings today. I had been home sick for a couple of days and already eaten all of my favorite comfort foods… stew, taco soup, mashed potatoes and mac n cheese. So today it was chicken and dumplings my own made up creation. I’ll save that story for another time. Anyway the chicken was cooked and picked off the bone, it was simmering in the pot and as I began to make the dumplings I could almost hear Rachel reminding me to make extra (usually triple). And then she would ask are you sure that’s enough? Funny how even the littlest thing will make me think of her… She LOVED the dumplings… those types of memories are so bittersweet. I miss her sweet voice and her sweet hugs and the sweet way she called me momma or said Daaad when she knew he was kidding with her. I miss that smile… I miss the way she always said sleep sleep instead of sleep sweet. And muah at the end of a phone conversation. I write because there are so many things that I never want to forget. I want them in my heart forever…

No comments: